The Gao’s Temple was named as ‘Guiyin Hall’ when it was built for the first time. It is located in the Shimen Village of Chizhou City, Anhui, and occupies an area of around 1,000 sqm. The temple was first built in the sixth year of the Jingtai (the era name titled by Emperor ZHU Qiyu), Ming dynasty (1455). In the nineteenth year of Jiajing Emperor, the hall was demolished and the ancestor of Gao rebuilt it as the family temple of Gaos. During the Culture Revolution of China (1966-1976), the temple suffered from heavy damages that, the boards, the scrolls, as well as the headers of the doors were destroyed. Decades later, the temple was preserved as a historical and cultural site by the local district government.
The temple is arranged along the south-north axis of the Shimen village, with a depth of more than 60 meters. It stretches itself along the mountain, going uphill row(进) by row. The main hall is as wide as 15m, with 136 columns supporting the structure. The temple has 7 rows(进) of houses in total, including the memorial gateway. However, the last one, the memorial hall has been collapsed for years. Therefore, only 6 rows(进) survive now. The ancestor of the Gao payed a lot of attention to choosing the site. They intentionally determined to build their family temple in front of the Old Cow shape, namely the southern foot of the Taohuashan Moutain, sitting in the north and facing the south. It is said that, the Old Cow shape represents for a god, and it is a perfect space from the perspective of Fengshui(风水).